Sherry Turkle

  In the daily life, I use my phone in several ways, for example as a communication tool, navigation, and recreation. I do not let my phones out of my sight, cause it makes me have no sense of security. People like to text rather than talk and the reason for contacting to each other is reduce anxiety. After watching this video, I feel in the same way with Sherry Turkle; for me, I always chat in the internet when I was high school. For the several month I do not know what should I say when face to face with others.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree that if most of your conversations are in the cyber world, you easily forget the way to communicate face to face. I feel secure when I talk to someone online. Chatting online allows you to communicate thoughtfully. You're able to carefully curate a text, so you can put your smartest and wittiest foot forward. This ultimately, leads to insecurity. In a real life conversation your not able to have endless time to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Individuals in some cases use there phones or pull them out to help there anxiety or if something is awkward or uncomfortable to them. I have even in the past pulled mine out and scrolled down a social media while in an uncomfortable situation or awkward moment. We're always connected and we have become accustom to that and how it makes us feel better in situations and simply keep us from feeling lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the internet does indeed allow for the curation of what you wish to say, allowing for constant revision in an effort to get the meaning of your message across accurately (now, whether or not someone does that is an entirely different story). I do, however, find that text-based communications seem to lack in the ability to convey sarcasm and meaning in some contexts, which face-to-face - or even a phone call - would allow for in greater depth and to avoid misunderstanding. Ultimately, they both have their pros and cons/drawbacks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment